Acidic foods and drinks strip off the protective protein layer covering your dentin. This exposes the tiny microscopic pores in our enamel, and leads to our sensitivity. One of the best things you can do to reduce your hypersensitivity is by limiting the amount of sodas, citrus juices, fruits, coffees, wines and vinegars. Drink through a straw, and do not sip on your beverages all day long!
Desensitizing Toothpaste Tips
Do not rinse after brushing for at least 30 minutes. These toothpastes need time to work their magic. If you rinse with water right away, you will negate the effective ingredient (usually a fluoride) and you will not achieve the desired outcome. By spitting thoroughly instead of rinsing your mouth with water after brushing, you’ll allow the thin coating of toothpaste to remain on your teeth and do its job.
Types of Desensitizing Toothpastes
Potassium Nitrate Toothpastes
How They Work:
- High concentrations of potassium ions depolarize nerve endings in the pores of exposed dentin, and keep them from sending pain signals.
- Can work in spite of acid erosion and abrasive events during the day, which open pores on exposed dentin causing tooth sensitivity.
- Takes 2-4 weeks for maximal effect
- Other desensitizing toothpastes containing potassium nitrate.
**Remember to look for a SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) free product.
Casein Phosphopeptide – Amorphous Calcium Phosphate (CPP-ACP)
How It Works:
- Using a milk protein with calcium ions combined as Casein Phosphopeptide – Amorphous Calcium Phosphate (CPP-ACP) they help protect sensitive nerve endings by plugging open pores in exposed dentin with calcium phosphate.
- Provides more immediate results, and has a degree of substantivity (stickiness to teeth) because of milk proteins in the formulation.
- Can be rubbed on with your finger to sensitive teeth.
- Acid erosion and abrasive events during the day can reopen pores.
- MI Paste and MI Paste Plus (with Fluoride)
**If you have a CASEIN or MILK sensitivity avoid these products
Other Remineralizing Toothpastes
How They Work:
- These products are designed to help remineralize teeth and can also help protect sensitive nerve endings by plugging open pores in exposed dentin with calcium phosphate.
- Toothpaste products containing NovaMin (Dr. Collin’s Restore, etc.)
- HA Nano Gel from Cari Free (HA=hydroxyapatite)